Jake and Bathsheba

A blog by two cats who used to live in the same house in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, they are both no longer with us.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Thomasina!


Last night we didn't get to blog because Mom decided that she wanted to watch the DVD The Three Lives of Thomasina with me instead. Skeezix's Food Lady sent it to Mom, who hadn't seen it since she was a little girl.













Isn't Thomasina a beautiful ginger kitty? Gingers are rarely females; maybe that's why she was originally named Thomas.





Anyway, Mom and I snuggled in and watched the movie. Mom got those leaky eyes that everyone always talks about, but she had a box of tissues at the ready. I did my best to console her because I knew that everything would turn out well for Thomasina. Why? Well, because she's a CAT.


Today we hung around the house. Jake got in a bit of trouble this morning because Mom found something that he had peed on. She tried to clean it up with vinegar before Dad found out, but he smelled the vinegar so she told him. Jake had to go and stay out on the deck for a few hours, but was back in the house soon thereafter because he's a craftly little charmer.


It was another cold spring day, and there was a bit of rain. Mom and Dad had wanted to go on a wildflower walk, but with the overcast weather and forecast for rain, they stayed home. The beautiful little spring beauties (Claytonia virginica) that complement the Virginia bluebells (Mertensia virginica) along the banks of the Bull Run only open their petals in full sunshine.

Later tonight and tomorrow, it is supposed to rain hard, and wind will follow for the next couple of days. Despite the low temperatures, the flowers in our yard look beautiful.



In the foreground are Phlox stolonifera (sherwood purple) and the blue clump behind contains Virginia bluebells.




These are non-native trout lilies, aka dogtooth violets. The native variety is difficult to cultivate in a garden.


Mom likes to garden, and I like to help her by just keeping her company out there--when the weather is nice.


~Bathsheba

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:02:00 AM, Blogger Karen Jo said...

Your flowers are beautiful. I'm glad your cold snap didn't hurt them.

 
At Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:05:00 AM, Blogger Tara said...

I so glad you are getting some flowers, they are really pretty! And Jake, you better be careful, your cuteness will only take you so far!
Tara

 
At Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:49:00 AM, Blogger Daisy said...

Those flowers are beautiful! I'm glad you got to watch that movie, it is a good one.

Jake, you had better mind your P's and Q's. Especially your P's!

 
At Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:22:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary B❤️ said...

um... sometimes I pee on the carpet in the corner of the family room... once I peed in the living room.... oh yeah.. and once I peed in mommies bedroom near the window... ooops. My mommie has two things she uses to clean it up.. one is Petzyme and the other is Resolve pet stain cleener. it werks, no stinky. The vet said vinegar sometimes smells so bad that I might want to pee more. Now I hardly every pee on stuff.

Okay, changing the subject... my mommie really loved that moovie Thomasina. It is old.

Isn't this rain great? not.
Have a happy day

~Caesar

 
At Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:52:00 AM, Blogger Forty Paws said...

Uh oh. Dorf pees on stuff too. Jake, be furry careful not to get your daddy too mad at you!

Those flowers are beeyoutiful!!

Luf, Us

 
At Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:53:00 AM, Blogger Parker said...

That is a great movie! Mommy hasn't watched it in a very long time! Your flowers are very, very pretty. It's still too cold for flowers here!

 
At Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:24:00 AM, Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

The flowers are lovely! :) Very pretty. :) That movie sounds wonderful. I'll have to get my humans to watch it!

 
At Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:37:00 PM, Blogger MaoMao said...

The movie sounds great -- I don't think my humans have seen it, so I'll have to tell 'em to check it out!

And great lookin' flowers!

 
At Sunday, April 15, 2007 4:19:00 PM, Blogger Pearl C. Pritchard said...

I didn't know about Tomasina!

I enjoy hearing about spring because I myself am very excited about the warm(er) weather and longer days. Just tonight there were THREE large birds sitting on our garden fence at dusk.

Also, we have some flowers popping up too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home