Jake and Bathsheba

A blog by two cats who used to live in the same house in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, they are both no longer with us.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

"It Was Torture, I Say"

The day didn't start well. Mom said that I could not have breakfast until AFTER the 9 a.m. vet appointment. Well, that certainly put me in a good mood for my visit to the doctor today. Dad got what Mom calls the cat "carrier" out from the shed and it took the two of them to put me in what my friends have more correctly termed the "prison box." I tried very hard to kick and spread out all four legs to keep from getting shoved into it, but they overpowered me.

Once at the doctor's, there were too many DOGS. Ugh! They're so loud and yappy. I just cowered in my prison box; at least it afforded me some protection from those dogs. Finally Mom took me into the examination room and I decided that I like my prison box after all. Mom had to turn it upside down and pry me out. A nice lady took my temperature (oh, the indignity!) and checked me over. She left and I snuggled against Mom for a few minutes. When she returned she had another lady technician with her and a BIG NEEDLE. They held me down and drew blood out of my back leg. She had trouble finding my little vein and had to stick me twice! I was a good boy and very brave, but I must admit that I did cry a little. (I NEVER cry when I get shots.) They told Mom that they had to run a test that would take 10-15 minutes. When they left I started to tremble. I just didn't know what to expect. Mom tried to calm me by telling me that that was all they were going to do, but I wasn't so sure. I trusted Mom, but I wasn't positive that SHE knew what they were up to. Anyway, the dogs were making a ruckus out in the lobby so I snuggled against Mom as she sat in a chair with me cradled in her arms.

After an interminable wait, the doctor came in and talked with Mom. He said that I'm doing better and Mom can cut my pill dosage to 1/2 pill twice a day. The bad news is that he also said that I have to return in 4-6 weeks for another blood test! We'll see about that.


When we got home, Mom decided that she should take a picture of me before letting me out of my prison box. It's a hand-me-down carrier from my late sister Precious. She was a Maine Coon cat who died at the age of 19.


After all I'd been through, Mom knew that she had to get busy and serve my brunch. I was starved!

(Mom has now tried THREE TIMES to post additional pictures, but it's not working, so we will probably give up for the night.)

The rest of the day for me was much better. The weather was great and I hung out on the deck. Also, the store had my canned cat food on sale and Mom bought me about a month's supply. I'm in good shape.

Love,
~Jake

8 Comments:

At Sunday, September 10, 2006 11:45:00 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

Jake, we has the EXACT SAME prison box - bof of us fit in there wif room to spare! Sorry that you hadded to get stabbed at the v-e-t, and that you has to go back again.

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 1:22:00 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Oh Jake, what a bummer Saturday morning. Glad you had a better afternoon.

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 9:36:00 PM, Blogger Jake and Bathsheba said...

Meezer kitties, Mom bought the prison box when she had two other cats and they actually did travel together. It'll be the day when Bathsheba and I share a cell!

G,M,& C, yes, Mom was very cruel, wasn't she! At least I felt calmer by the time the prison box was returned home. She had the camera right by the door so it didn't take long for her to shoot the photo.

Thanks for everyone's support.

~Jake

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 9:53:00 PM, Blogger Meowers from Missouri said...

hi, jake! hi, bathsheba! good to see you posting regularly again.

sorry that your saturday started so rotten; but sounds like the rest of the day was fine.

hope we will meet up with you at skeezix's party next week. good thing you don't have a v-e-t appointment that day!!

come see us any time, and vote in our poll!

meows from
nelson, ed, nitro, & xing lu

 
At Monday, September 11, 2006 12:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, how *awful! My sister Ninna has to go to the vet a lot and she just fights and then covers herself up with a sheet or towel or whatever Mom puts in the box with a gate for her. You wouldn't even know she's in there.

Once Mom told Dad they couldn't leave until she found ... me! (She always has to see us and say bye before she goes anywhere.) She looked and looked and then Dad looked and then ... they looked inside the car where Dad had put the box. Teehee. I LOVE going places and I snuck in there before they put Ninna inside. They ended up taking me too, and it made Ninna feel safer, having a big strong boy like me with her.

*I'll go with you if you want me to next time!

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 12:03:00 AM, Blogger Rosie & Cheeto said...

At leest yer getting bettur. Were sooo happie yer getting bettur...furget about going to the vet again until yoo have to go. Glad yoo had a grate rest of the day!

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:26:00 PM, Blogger Skeezix the Cat said...

Is the temprucher the one ware they stik the cold thing up yer poophole? I HATE that! I do reely like yer prizzin box, tho: it looks PINK! I have a choice between the bloo one and the purpul one. I like purpul better becuz it's closer to pink than bloo is.

I'm glad to see yer gitting better!

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Jake and Bathsheba said...

Thanks Skeezix. Yes, my box is pink. Maybe I should trade you for the blue one. I'd rather have a macho-colored box since I'm a little man. You must be very comfortable in your masculinity to like pink.

~Jake

 

Post a Comment

<< Home