Jake and Bathsheba

A blog by two cats who used to live in the same house in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, they are both no longer with us.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Would You Eat This?



It looks good.

It smells good.

It's FF's liver and chicken in gravy with a crunchy topping of Purina Cat Chow.

But there's something lurking in there.

Medicine! Pill pieces - a half piece and a quarter piece!

Mom hides pills in my food, and can you believe that I don't even notice. She and Dad think it's because I inhale my food. Whatever. The pills are something new for me back in July.

This past winter Mom noticed that I was licking my fur a lot, and I would lick and lick and lick my tummy until some of the fur disappeared. When I went to the doctor, he didn't seem too concerned and said that it was probably "stress." He said he could give me some tranquilizers. Mom laughed at the idea that I could be under stress (well, as you all know, it's hard work being a cool cat, but she didn't see it that way), and she didn't want me on tranquilizers. Maybe we should have tried the 'nip.

By the time for my regular checkup, I had a voracious appetite, yet I seemed to be losing a little bit of weight. I had licked my cute spotted fur from my chest and tummy. Dad wasn't too concerned about the weight because he thought that I was getting a bit porky. Anyway, this time another doctor put on my paperwork that I had something called "alopecia," and he took blood from me. I hate needles, but I was very brave.

The doctor phoned Mom later and said that I have something called hyperthyroidism. I will have to take pills for the rest of my life. At first the doctor said that I should have one pill with each meal. Dad was very concerned about me the first day after starting the pills because I wasn't myself, his "little man." I was what they called "lethargic." I was very tired and wanted to sleep more than usual. Well, that wore off in a day or two, but I still wasn't quite normal.

I had to have another blood test, and the doctor decided that I should have 3/4 of a pill with each meal. Good thing Mom knows how to do fractions. I think it's working out pretty good now. My fur has grown back and my chest looks very handsome again. (Modesty is not my strong point.) Mom wanted to take a picture to show you all, but I wasn't in the mood.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell all my new cat friends that it's not TOO bad to have to take pills, especially if it might make you live longer. I'm only 12, and a long time ago I had a beautiful big sister, a torbie-colored Maine Coon (not like the awful coon that came to my deck) who lived to be 19. I hope to make it to the big two-oh.

~ Jake

10 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:54:00 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

What a brave kittie to take pills all the rest of your life.

Visiting from Skeezix, Rosie and Cheeto's blogs. Welcome to the blogging group.

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:15:00 PM, Blogger Madness, Trouble, Squish and Milkbone said...

Wow, that food looks yummie, even if it's hiding pills. Glad you are feeling better and not licking the hair off your tummy anymore.

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 4:20:00 AM, Blogger Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Yuk pills!!! The stinky goodness looks tasty though. Mum wouldn't fool me wiv putting pills in food. She says when I haf to take pills my claws grow by 6 inchis, an they come back outta my mouf like they is jet propelled.(I means the pills not my paws coming outta my mouf) She efen got a pill giver furrom the V E T ,but I'm not hafin any of that.She says Flynn's a good boy an I should be like him. No way!!! Why should I???

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:52:00 AM, Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Mom would have to choke me to get me to take pills!

HI visiting from the Meezer's blog. Welcome to the blogosphere!

*ABBY & the gang

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 9:28:00 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

wow, hafing to take pills stinks, but you're furry good for taking them. we hopes you lives to be old like our Norton and Trixie - who bof lived to be 18

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:04:00 PM, Blogger Meowers from Missouri said...

you are a furry smart kitty to take those pills without complaint. you realize that the beans are giving them to you so you can live long, healthy, and get lotsa lovins.

we're naughty and won't take medicine in foods, but that doesn't bother Her 'cause of all the practice She's had (there have been 13 of us through the years, starting with Mouse, The First Cat).

once, She had a cat who hadda take a pill every day, and when he heard the medicine bottle rattle, he came running to get his pill. She just squeezed gently at the corners of his mouth, and he'd open his jaws and She popped right down his throat.

anyhow, it's good to see a rational cat. (She says that's an oxymoron, but we told her there aren't ANY moron cats. i mean, look how we've got them trained!)

best fishes from your new furrends--

nels, ed, nitro, & xing

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:57:00 PM, Blogger Spock said...

OH! Where ion Va does you lives??? I live just outside of Roanoke! Welcome!

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

our Lady says that looks kinda like apple pie wif the crumbly stuff on top, but she's really hungry an prolly delusional. we've neffur tried takin a pill, but don't think anybuddy would dare try ta give one ta Grr.
Cocoa

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Jake and Bathsheba said...

Oreo, we're from Manassas in Nawthun Vuginyuh.

~ J&B

 
At Friday, September 01, 2006 12:12:00 PM, Blogger Spock said...

Dang. I keeps hopin that somecat near me will start up a bloggie! It am furry nice to meets you though! If you am efur near me I might could talk mine Momma into comin to meet you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home