Jake and Bathsheba

A blog by two cats who used to live in the same house in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, they are both no longer with us.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Flower Friday with Jake


When Mom got home from work tonight, and after I had my dinner, she wanted to do a photo shoot for Flower Friday. I had to humor her. She put me atop our fence and asked me to pose with the dusty rose-colored Joe Pye Weed, a native wildflower that grows tall and is a magnet for tiger swallowtail butterflies. Mom even saw some monarch butterflies on them a couple of mornings this week.


Once up there, I wanted to explore the arbor. The darker purple flowers are New York ironweed which is just beginning to bloom. It also attracts butterflies. The orange flowers are trumpet vine, and they attract hummingbirds.

It's actually a bit treacherous up here as you can see from this photo taken from the back yard. I'm way high up! The birdhouses are what Dad dubbed the "chickadee condo" that he built a few years back. We get birds nesting in them every year, and this year we had both wrens and sparrows, but not at the same time.


Mom says that because she's going out to California on Monday she won't be able to post a man cat Monday photo. I think that this one would have been an excellent choice for the occasion, so I couldn't resist posting it today.
My older sister Bathsheba keeps talking about being "Sweet 16." Her birthday is Sunday. She may be 16, but she's not sweet to me.
~Jake



Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At Friday, August 10, 2007 11:37:00 PM, Blogger Lux said...

My mom especially loves orange flowers, and I love hummingbirds! (I love all birds.)

 
At Friday, August 10, 2007 11:58:00 PM, Blogger Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Yoo look really nice up der wif da pretty flowers Jake. Sorry yoor sisfur isn't sweet to yoo but yoo know how dem old ladees get (grumpy).

 
At Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:06:00 AM, Blogger sammawow said...

That is certainly a very mancatly picture of you, Jake! Quite handsome, indeed. Willow posted with flowers today too!

And we wish you a very happy birthday, Bathsheba! We'll try to come back for your sweet 16th!


Purrrrrrrs, China Cat & Willow

 
At Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:08:00 AM, Blogger michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

Those are very nice photo of you~!
I love flowers and you are doing great modeling job~!!!! You look great~!!

Your sister's birthday is Sunday~! Wow, is she really 16 years old? She looks so young~!!!

 
At Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:24:00 AM, Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Those are great photos Jake! You did a great modelling job up there on the fence next to the flowers. :)

 
At Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:55:00 AM, Blogger Christine and FAZ said...

I love your garden and your arbour. Good modeling session Jake. I have just been admiring your physique in the last photo. You look very strong and handsome. FAZ

 
At Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:32:00 AM, Blogger Daisy said...

Jake, that last photo is a perfect Mancat Monday picture! I hope your mom has a good visit to California.

I think Bathsheba is very sweet.

 
At Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they going to celebrate Bathsheba's birthday at the cat blogosphere party? I hope I can go!

You do look very manly amongst those wonderful flowers. I hope your Momma has a safe trip.

 
At Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:17:00 PM, Blogger Karen Jo said...

You look wonderful up there with all the colorful flowers, Jake. I don't see why you can't count that last picture as your Mancat Monday picture. Bathsheba will be 16 tomorrow! Wow! She can join the Sweet Sixteen club.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home