Jake and Bathsheba

A blog by two cats who used to live in the same house in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, they are both no longer with us.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Bathsheba's Kill and Jake's Trip to the Vet

Hey, Tripper, you called me "old" at the big birthday party yesterday; I'd look up your exact words, but Mom is too cheap to pay Chatzy $9 for the full transcript. Yeah, I know that at nearly 16, I'm getting up there, but while I like my naps and relaxation, I still have tortitude and I have a killer instinct.

After the party, I decided I needed to kill something, so I went outside and this vole made the mistake of crossing my path. I don't think that big ol' Trip will be bunny-kicking ME.
~Bathsheba

And Tripper, that Psycho Cat, called me a WEENIE just because I was drinking plain water at the party. I'd had an upset stomach, and I didn't want to drink anything that might make me barf at the party. My mom taught me some manners--no barfing at other people's houses.
Anyway, I was feeling way better by last night, and I was back to myself again this morning-hungry! I won't admit to foraging in the compost pile the other day, but I must say that the smell of cantaloupe drives me wild. But not like catnip wild! Who says it was that, anyway? It could have been something from a nasty neighbor's house.
Even though I was feeling perfectly well, Mom rudely put me in my PTU tonight and whisked me off to the vet in her car.

You can plainly see that I was not too happy about this trip. Mom apparently made this appointment months ago.

Here I am in the waiting room. This photo looks suspiciously like one from a blog post in January.




And here I am in the examining room being weighed. I gained about an ounce since last January. Mom measures my food so I don't have a chance to gain weight unless I check what's available around the neighborhood.
One of the next things they did was take my blood. I know that Bathsheba and Rocky always take their blood, but I had to donate some of mine. First they poked me in one leg and couldn't get enough--they said I have tiny veins--then they poked me in the other leg and got a big enough sample. I was stoic and didn't cry. I'm glad that Mom petted me the whole time instead of taking pictures.
The tech tried to get a poop sample by sticking this thing up my poop hole, but I said enough was enough and protested that indignity! Instead, they gave Mom a little plastic container for a sample. Good luck! I like to do my business in the privacy of the woods.
The doctor gave me some shots, and I didn't even flinch as Mom stroked my fur. They ran some tests, and the doc said that my thyroid levels are high (6.5 when normal is 1.5-4.5), but that I looked good otherwise. Unlike another vet that we saw before, this one said that the hair loss on my tummy was caused by stress. Mom told him that another vet said that was one of the symptoms of my hyperthyroidism, but this one said no. Sometimes Mom gets so exasperated by all the different vets' conflicting perspectives. This vet wanted to up my medication dosage, but because I had been off my meds or a day and a half, he decided he'd keep it the same and retest me in a month. Ugh--another blood donation coming up. Mom is reluctant to have my dosage increased because I became lethargic when it was upped before. She thinks I nap enough as it is.
I know that this was a lot to read, but I AM a cat and the center of the universe (at least our universe here in this house). Our 200th post contest is ongoing, everyone. Sorry, Skeezix, but July 2 was NOT it. If you manage to wade through this post, then keep those comments coming and you may win yet!
~Jake



Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

At Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we came back ta find owt how you wuz doin'. glad yur doin' good Jake an i did reed the hole thing cuz we wuz kunserned. Bathsheba - WHOA! good goin'! i'z furry impressed. we neffur get ta kill nuffin.
Cocoa

 
At Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Bathsheba ... Trip needs we girlies to whip up on him just a bit. I think that we can take him. BTW: Nice kill. Was he tasty?

Jake! Sweetie! Are you okay? I hope that you put at least a little bitey on the v-e-t for pokin' and proddin' you. Oh, and we have the same size/color of PTU. I hate ridin' in mine, too. Concatulations on gainin' an ounce despite measured food.

Smooches!
DMM

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Rocky the Gutter Cat said...

Hey, dood, too bad yoo didn't draw any blud frum the vet. I can give yoo tips if yoo like. For the rekerd, my thigh roids level last munth win I had to go to the emerjinsy vet and they thot I was a gonner was 17. So yer 6.5 looks pritty good. I have gaynd a pownd in the last five weeks, and I'll git my thigh roid reezults toomorrow. I'm looking forwerd to my next vet vizit to see if I can add anuther skull and krossbones to my chart.

And fer the rekerd, yoo shood also cry like a banshee win yer at the vet. Makes the ladey think twice abowt taking yoo thare!

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Rocky the Gutter Cat said...

PEE ESS: Being letharjik ain't so bad. Nappin an eetin an laffin an laffin --- don't git much better than that!

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 12:33:00 AM, Blogger Rocky the Gutter Cat said...

PEE PEE ESS: My ladey is gonna post a transkript. She anteed up the $9.

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 12:50:00 AM, Blogger Catzee said...

Ooo, Bathsheba ya gotted a vole! I wisht I could hunt more than bugs.

Jake yur furry brave. Ya looked good gettin' weighed an' ya didn't try to jump down an' run an' hide.

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 5:10:00 AM, Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Bathsheba, I am very impressed with your hunting abilities!

Jake, I'm sorry you had to go to the vet. Sorry to hear you have hyperthyroidism. My mom knows that in humans, hair loss is a symptom of thyroid problems, but she doesn't know about fur loss in cats.

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 6:42:00 AM, Blogger Parker said...

Bathsheba - you rock girl! I bet youscared that little critter to death!
Jake - I am sorry you have to go back to the vet. It's no fun to have them steal your blood, I curl up in a ball and hide by where Mommy stands. I never works though, they always get me...

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 8:21:00 AM, Blogger Millie said...

Jasmine here!

I am nominating Bathsheba as a Rockin' Girl Blogger! Come to our blog and find out more!

Millie's gonna have a fit when she hears me call it that! Ha Ha Ha!

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 9:58:00 AM, Blogger The Cat Realm said...

Poor Jake! Don´t tell anyone because i might post it in the coming days but I had to go to the vet too and I HATE IT!!!! I have hairloss (the humiliation!) behind my ears, and under my chin, and on my head. And the vet said it could be an allergy (I got a shot, it was horrible!). The staff is supposed to watch it and if it gets worse I HAVE TO GO AGAIN! But a freind of the maid said I might lack some minerals and they should give me copper. Which they do, so far it is not getting worse....
I cross my claws for you to get better. Good Mom to keep your medicine at a minimum!
Get better!!!!!!
Anastasia
Good kill, Bathsheba!

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 10:26:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary B❤️ said...

jake, we are so glad that you are feeling better. these pictures of the vet place make me feel sick.
I hope you have a wonderful rest today.
I love water.

~Caesar

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 10:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we wuz wonnering whut you wuz sayin' ta yur mom in that furst PTU picshure, cuz you shure wuz sayin' sumfin an it duzzn't look like it wuz good.

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 10:52:00 AM, Blogger LZ said...

How horrible! Sounds like you and I had some horrible similar experiences. How did you not flinch for the shots? It hurtied me so badly I cried and they felt bad for me. I'm even limping today. I don't know why all those vets have so many different opinions we just go to our one Dr. Ian all of the time and he's good about consulting with his colleagues.

Kaze

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 11:19:00 AM, Blogger LZ said...

Jake, you rock! I nominated you come by my blog to see.

Latte

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Daisy said...

WOWIE! Bathsheba, I am very impressed with you for catching that vole. This proves that you are not old, you are a brave and seasoned huntress. I like to learn things from you.

Jake, I am glad you are feeling better. Too bad they still stoled some of your blood!

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Christine and FAZ said...

You look surprisingly calm at the V.E.T. and I am very impressed with the kill. I might just go out this evening and see what I can find. FAZ

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 2:15:00 PM, Blogger Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Well done Bathsheba, that wuz a good catch.
Jake we're glad yer feeling better. I (Flynn) haf got a bald pink patch on my tummy. Mum sez I must haf OCD. I don't know what that means, but I do know that I fink I haf a dirty spot there and I haf to keep washing and washing it. When I haf finished I haf to start again.

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 2:50:00 PM, Blogger All Blog Spots said...

nice blog

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 3:01:00 PM, Blogger Karen Jo said...

Congratulations on your kill, Bathsheba. That should show Tripper up. I'm glad you are feeling better, Jake. I'm sorry you had to suffer those indignities at the vet.

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 6:44:00 PM, Blogger MaoMao said...

Wowie, Bathsheba, you're a mighty huntress! And Jake, I'm sorry you had to go to that ol' v.e.t. place, that's nefur, efur fun, but I'm glad you're feelin' bettur.

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

 
At Friday, July 06, 2007 7:30:00 PM, Blogger Zoey and the furballs said...

Poor Jake. We agree with your Mommy that vets can be exasperating when they don't have consistent answers. Mommy adds that bean doctors are the same. She's got a low thyroid and all the doctors have said different things about it. Argh! I though medicine was a science, not an art.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home