Jake and Bathsheba

A blog by two cats who used to live in the same house in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, they are both no longer with us.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I Don't Feel Good

I don't know what's wrong, but I just don't feel like eating. Mom worries because this is SO out of character for me. I haven't been feeling very good for a couple of weeks. None of my foods appeal much to me. I still like Temptations so Mom decided to feed my regular crunchy food to me by hand and I liked that--I just didn't eat very much. Mom also came home to some barf today--undigested, of course.

Mom took me to the vet one evening last week and he couldn't find anything wrong with my vitals. He decided to treat me for gastritis and he gave Mom this awful liquid stuff (Cimetidine) to give me twice a day. I put up a fight so most of the stuff just got on my fur; Mom decided to stop forcing it on me two days ago. She worried because I didn't even clean it off my fur. Well, it tastes icky; why would I want my tongue to wipe it?

Today I did something that I'm sorry about: I bit Mom hard on her index finger. She was on her third try to force the thyroid pill Tapazole down my throat when I let out a cry and then bit her. We both cried. She said that her finger still throbs and it's her mouse clicking finger. She was glad that a document she was supposed to sign today at work had a typo because the finger started bleeding again (under the bandage) and she got blood on the paper.

Anyway, back to me. I have an appointment for my regular blood work for my hyperthyroidism on January 10. I don't know if I'll stand for my medicine any more. I used to let Mom put pill pieces in my Fancy Feast and I would eat them just fine. Then I got tired of FF. I liked the pill pockets for a while and now I like them even better because I've discovered how to eat the yummy treat and leave the pill behind! I used to be cooperative (for a kitty!) when she would put the pill down my throat, but no more Mr. Nice Kitty from me.


Oh, what to do? Mom doesn't know whether she should take me back to the vet tomorrow or just give me love and attention. At least she is taking tomorrow off! I slept close to her on the bed last night and that is something I didn't use to do. (I didn't know what I was missing!) She is nice and warm.

Well, if anyone can give us advice on what I should do or what might be wrong with me, please leave us some comments. It sucks feeling sick.

~Jake

Update from Bathsheba, 12:30 p.m., Dec. 18:

Jake is in the hospital.

Well, of course, Mom took Jake back to the vet. Jake's vitals, like his temperature, were all normal, but he lost a pound of weight. They did blood work and all that was abnormal was some kind of amylase levels. He could have pancreatitis or something worse that begins with a C. He will stay in the hospital for some fluids and medication. The vet will call Mom later today with an update. Even I want my pesky brother to feel better.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:32:00 PM, Blogger Boy n Beethoven said...

Oh no Jake! The V-E-T couldn't find anything wwong with you? What about some change in the menu? Perhaps you'll wike the food a bit more? Fwesh cooked weal wife dead fish? I think that is the yummiest thing on earth, so perhaps you want to get your Mom to cook you some and twy?
I'm sending you wots and wots of purrs. Maybe I should teweport over to give you some heawing wicks?

Boy

 
At Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:24:00 PM, Blogger Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Mom puts butter on any pills she hasta give us...it not only tastes good it makes pills slide right down. We're very sorry dat yoo aren't feeling good Jake, we'll say some purrayers fur yoo.

 
At Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:36:00 PM, Blogger Smeagol and Strider, Mystery (Sunnin' at the Bridge) and Gizmo too! said...

Jake, we're furry sorry you're not feelin' good. Do you think you might like baby food? Sometimes that helps when we don't feel like eatin' anything else. Mom says it should be the kind without anything added to it, just meat (your mom should check the ingredients).
Mom says that she would prob'ly call the v-e-t back to see what they think about whether you should go back in before your regular appt., especially with holly-days comin' up soon.
We're purrin' furry hard that you start to feel better soon.

 
At Wednesday, December 17, 2008 11:45:00 PM, Blogger The Cat Realm said...

Jake - we are so sorry! We don't know what to do either - this is not good! We are sure your Mom has tried all kinds of great foods, smelly food, normally forbidden foods... maybe you just have a bug - but two weeks is a LOOONG time!
We will purr, just in case.
And if you need distraction - go over to Sassy and watch the latest CCSI! Links on our blog.
And a contest at The Cat Realm tomorrow too...

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 12:20:00 AM, Blogger Forty Paws said...

Jake, we're sorry that you don't like your pills for your thyroid problems. Jenny has thyroid problems and she won't take pills, so Maw smashes the pill up and pours some tuna juice on it. Then Jenny licks it right up! Of course, if you don't have a bunch of cats sucking up tuna left and right, this might be a bit of a problem, but since half of us love tuna, it's not a problem here.

Take your pills!

Luf, Us

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:02:00 AM, Blogger Gemini and Ichiro said...

Oh no! Momma would worry about that and she would keep on going to the vet until she found out why I wouldn't eat.

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:21:00 AM, Blogger Everycat said...

Poor Jake, summat is up with you definately fella. We think you ought to go back to the vet soonest and get a blood panel done, including a thyroid panel (T4 levels can change even whilst you are on da pills for it, this might make you feel grotty if it has happened) Two weeks is a long time to be off your food. There are different thyroid medicines, so maybe a change is needed. Once you are over this bout of poorlyness, maybe ask your Mum to talk to the vet about a thyroidectomy, it would mean you didn't have to take the pills anymore. We send you big rumbly purrs Jake for you to be well again soon

Whicky Wuudler

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:54:00 AM, Blogger LZ said...

Jake this is not good at all! Are you drinking? The Woman would have me at the vet again if this was how I was acting. I think the VET needs to check more thoroughly and maybe run some different tests.

Chase

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Kismet said...

Jake, I hope you feel better soon! It is NO FUN being sick, espeshully for man cats. I am proud of you for barfing, though. ITS GOOD TO SHOW THEM WHO IS BOSS, EVEN WHEN YOU ARE NOT FEELING WELL!

Keep us posted, man.

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:42:00 PM, Blogger Daisy said...

Oh Jake, I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I am sending my very best purrs for you.

Maybe your mom could use a piller for you. It's a long sort of stick that you put a pill on the end and push the plunger down. That would save your mom's fingers anyway. She should be very careful about that bite! Sometimes soaking it in hot water with Epsom salts can make it hurt less.

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:22:00 PM, Blogger Charlemagne and Tamar said...

Oh dear. We're hoping that the vet can figure out what's wrong and they can help you get to feeling better, Jake!

Purrs for you to get well,

Charlemagne and Tamar

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:34:00 PM, Blogger meemsnyc said...

Oh no Jake, we are so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. We hope it's nothing serious and that you will be feeling better really soon. We will purr and think about you!!

Sebastian, Yaffa and Dante

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:34:00 PM, Blogger The Cat Realm said...

Oh no! Please nothing that starts with a C. We are purring very hard for Jake to get better! Keep us updated!

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:53:00 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Lots of purrs to you Jake. Hope the VET figures out what is wrong and that is is NOT the big C.

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Kelly had tummy problems and couldn't eat stinky goodness, our vet recommended Beech-Nut Chicken baby food. Kelly loved "baby chicken". We're sending stomach-settling vibes to Jake...

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:06:00 PM, Blogger Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Jake, sweetie ... You've gotta cooperate with your momma an' take your pills. I'll be over to snuggle ...
Smooches!
DMM

 
At Friday, December 19, 2008 6:34:00 AM, Blogger Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Oh no Jake, we only just heard that you are pawly. We are purring for you to get better. We know medicine is icky, but you have to try and take it to get better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home