Jake and Bathsheba

A blog by two cats who used to live in the same house in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, they are both no longer with us.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Happy Birthday, Jake!

It's finally here--my 13th birthday! Mom says that I have to wait until morning till I can open my present, but I guess that's okay. At least there is a present!
I'll briefly retell my story, which I have posted on my Catster page.

My cat mother was a young kitty who found herself pregnant and out on the cold streets of Centreville, VA in the dead of winter. A kind lady from Mom's office found her and took her in hoping to reunite her with her family. She posted signs and checked with the animal shelter, but no one claimed her. This kind lady was going to Arizona on a February vacation and she got Mom to agree to care for my mom kitty while she was away. Mom named my cat mother Caterina for Katarina Witt because it was 1994, and she was trying to make a comeback at that year's winter Olympics. Caterina was a voracious eater and was gaining weight. Mom had no idea that she was dealing with a pregnant cat.
No one claimed Caterina, but soon after the kind lady returned from vacation, she and Mom found a nice man from their IT department who agreed to adopt my cat mother. He took her to the vet and learned that she was pregnant. On March 27, my cat mother Catarina gave birth to four kittens in a makeshift nursery in the bathroom of a Centreville townhouse. The nice man's wife assisted. I was the last born. I had a brother and two sisters, one of which looked just like me except that she had white feet.
Mom agreed to adopt one of the boy kitties since she didn't have a little boy at home--just Precious and Bathsheba. She named me Jake, which is short for Auguste Jakob Julius __ the IV. She named me for her great-grandfather from Germany. (Her dad was supposed to have that name, but his parents changed their minds and decided to give him a different name. He was thankful he didn't have such a long name.) I like my name because I think the shortened version sounds quite manly.

Mom and I thought that some of you might enjoy more of my kitten pictures. I can't remember being so small, but these photos don't lie. Notice how Bathsheba appears to guard her food and put her back to me. She didn't like me from the start.






Mom used to take me along for Sunday visits at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Here I am holding my own with two dogs: Oakley the miniature schnauzer who lived with Grandma and Grandpa, and Cassie, a Cairn terrier (Toto dog) who lived with Mom's brother and family. When Cassie was a puppy, she lived with Mom, her brother, and niece, as well as poor Precious and Gus, Mom's former cats.
Here I am looking very small next to mom's curly-haired niece who was three years old at the time.
And here I am with Mom's blond niece, age 4 and one-half, who just loved kitties. Precious would hide under the bed when these little girls would visit.
The blond niece has her own Bengal kitty now.
Happy Birthday to me!
~Jake

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:27:00 AM, Blogger Jake and Bathsheba said...

This post is misleading! I hit "publish" at 12:25 a.m. on 3/27 so it's really my birthday. I STARTED on it at 11:23 p.m. on 3/26, so I guess that's the date I get unless I try to manipulate it. Mom didn't get home till after 11 p.m.--something about late "public hearings." Sheesh.

~Jake

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Rosie & Cheeto said...

HAPPIE BURTHDAY, JAKE!!!! We're gunna party like it's yur burthday (which it is!!!) Yeaaaa, the BIG 1-3.

Thanks fur sharing yer story with us AND showing us adoruble pickturs of yoo and yer lil peeple friends!

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:06:00 AM, Blogger Tara said...

What a little cutie you were (and now a big cutie!). Thanks for sharing the pictures, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Tara

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:13:00 AM, Blogger Max said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:31:00 AM, Blogger Skeezix the Cat said...

Happy Berthday, Jake! Bummer abowt yer labels -- I've done that a cupple of times and it's always on long posts ... and I keep fergetting to warn peeple abowt it. Have a wunderful berthday!

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:39:00 AM, Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Thanks for sharing your story Jake. You were an adorable kitten!

Happy Birthday! :) I hope you have a great day. As we say here in Germany: Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag! :)

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:46:00 AM, Blogger Daisy said...

What a great birthday story! I never knew you had such a distinguished long name. Jake, I have something to sing for you.... ahem....:

"Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Biiiiirthday dear Jaaa-aake
Happy Birthday tooooo yooooouuuuu!"

Hope it is a fun birthday!

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:44:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Burthday! Make sure you ask for tuna juice!

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:50:00 AM, Blogger Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Happy purrfday Jake. Fanks furr telling us yer story. We found it furry inchresting.

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:13:00 AM, Blogger Sasha said...

you were a pretty kitten Jake. You are still a handsome cat.

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:23:00 PM, Blogger LZ said...

Happy birthday Jake!! You were such an adorable kitten and a very very handsome Man Cat!

Kaze

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Purrthday!!! you were an adorable baby (and a very handsome Man Cat now)

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:41:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happee birfday Jake!!! We hopes you get lots of pats, pets, loves and stinky goodness (or whatever else you likes to eat!!)

Happee birfday!!

Jesse
Dazey
Conner CLoud

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:55:00 PM, Blogger Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Happy Birthday, Jake! Although you were an enormously cute baby, I'm much fonder of the "you" you became. Thirteen's a furry good year (I should know, right?) ...
Smooches! I'll see you soon when I teleport over for some birthday cuddles!
Meerrrooowww!
DMM

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jake. You were cute as a kitten!!
Happy Happy Birthday fuzzy kitten bigman!! I hope you had a great day with loads of pressies and nip and tastey snackeroonies.

Guess whats? we live in Virginia toooo!
We are going to add you kitties to our bloggieroll, okay??

~Caesar

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:17:00 PM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

Happy birthday, Jake! What neat story about how you got your mom and dad!

So, what did you get???

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:26:00 PM, Blogger MaoMao said...

Happy Birthday, Jake! And what great pictures. Thank you for sharin' 'em with us!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:33:00 AM, Blogger Karen Jo said...

Happy Birthday, Jake. I enjoyed reading your story. I hope you got lots of pets, scritches and goodies.

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Big Piney Woods Cats said...

What a wonderful story and we love the pictures!! Thanks for sharing.

Patches

 

Post a Comment

<< Home