Jake and Bathsheba

A blog by two cats who used to live in the same house in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, they are both no longer with us.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Scritch, Scratch

How many of you have furniture that is shredded? Is it because that's the only good stuff for you to put your claws on? Though Mom and Dad tell me that I've done many bad things, one thing I generally don't do is scratch on the furniture. Now, I admit that I AM a lucky cat because I get to go outside. There are SO MANY great things to scratch out there. I especially like and highly recommend tree trunks. But there are times when I want to just stay inside. For those times, I highly recommend my scratching post:

It's made of a nice scratchy rope and I love it.








You can see I've really made my mark on it. (Okay, okay, Mom says that I have to give credit to Bathsheba too.)

Mom thinks that I might need a replacement since the wood is showing through, but that just means it's broken in.



When I really get into it, I even have some back paw action.


The only flaw in my scratcher is that the base is not heavy enough and when I get very excited, it can tip. Dad sometimes helps me out by putting his foot on the top. He likes to wear flip flops which can be dangerous when my claws are flying!

A little catnip on the base can add an extra dimension (if you know what I mean) and I highly recommend it.


I have another official scratching post out on my deck, but it's handmade and has a story of its own. Another time for that . . . .


Keep on scratching!
~Jake

6 Comments:

At Friday, September 22, 2006 12:07:00 AM, Blogger Rosie & Cheeto said...

Wow, yoo have quite a werk of art in progress. Were sooo impressed.

Why wuld yoo need a replacement? It's eggsactly the way yoo want it. Maybe yoo just need anothur one to start a new werk of art!

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 9:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoo haf made a furry impressiff job on yer scratchy post. We haf fayverit trees outdoors too that we like to scratch on. We haf one tree stump that the horsies started chewing on, but we took it offur, an now it's only haf a stump left.

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 11:09:00 AM, Blogger LZ said...

Yes Jake!! I have a similar post, I scratch the same way as you do, AND I have tipping trouble too. How bizarre! I'm still a kitten though so I've got some time to really leave my mark on the post.

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 2:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Jake. Bubbles ignores his scratchy post and just use the furniture!

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 3:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice! how many toes has ya scratched up in the process?

 
At Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scratching posts are the greatest! And the used ones are the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home