Jake and Bathsheba

A blog by two cats who used to live in the same house in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, they are both no longer with us.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Meet Mr. RW Emerson

Hi! I'm Emerson, the new kitten here.

Finally, I get to tell you my story.



I was born in June, and when I was a tiny kitten, someone brought my sister and me to the animal shelter. I don't really remember that time, but we were fostered for a while. My sister found a forever home, but I had to wait longer because I had a virus. I was finally given a clean bill of health by the doctor, and on Friday, September 11, my mommie visited the animal shelter after work and she saw me all alone in my cage. That's me in my cage in the photos in the previous post.
I played with my mommie through the little holes in the glass. She had to wait until almost closing time before she got to play with me in the play room because the staff was busy with some other people and their adoptions.



She filled out the paperwork to adopt me and learned that she could not take me home until I was "fixed." She was surprised that 12-week old kittens could be neutered because her previous kitties had the operation at six months. The shelter staff made the appointment for Monday, September 14 and the plan was for Mommie to pick me up the next day.


Mommie got a call from the veterinarian on Monday.
I was very sick with a high fever and viral infection--much too sick for my operation. The animal shelter director even called my mommie and asked her if she wanted a different kitty since I was so sick. Thank goodness she said no.
I was hospitalized for several days, but on Thursday, September 17 my mommie paid lots of green papers and got to bring me home.




I was so excited, but she was told that I had to stay in a confined place and remain relatively quiet. I had three different medicines. I wasn't allowed to meet the big kitty that already lived here. Mommie put me in the room she calls the library because it has many books and bookcases. She named me Mr. Ralph Waldo Emerson. I think she has high literary hopes of me and expects me to be a great writer or something. But I'm just a little kitten and I want to PLAY.


I had a checkup on Monday, September 28 and I was finally well! Except that I had a clogged tear duct in my right eye which might be chronic. Sigh. Mommie made an appointment for my neutering operation which some of you call a hooha-ectomy. That was done on September 30 and I got to go home that evening. The vet staff told Mommie that I was to remain confined and quiet for another TWO WEEKS. NO! I wanted to play and meet the other kitty.

I was fine after my operation and my mommie decided that I could assimilate into the family sooner rather than later. I got to meet Bathsheba. She greeted me with a hiss--and more hisses, but she has never hit me. In fact, she usually walks away from me and I just want to get to know her. I follow her around sometimes; she is my idol. I don't know why she doesn't seem to want to be my friend.
Here we are together on the deck. My orange coat makes me almost invisible.







Here I am with Bathsheba while she sleeps in her favorite spot in the kitchen. I love the bay window.





I know that I cannot fill the hole in Mommie's heart that Jake left, but I intend to bring joy to her life because I am very happy to have a forever home. Here I am posed next to a photo of Jake in a frame that Jeter's mom made for Mommie.
Thank you for reading my story.
Love and purrs,
~Emerson

Labels:

21 Comments:

At Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:00:00 AM, Blogger Gemini and Ichiro said...

It is very nice to meet you!

 
At Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:05:00 AM, Blogger NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Woo have a furry floofy tail!

Welkhome!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

 
At Thursday, October 08, 2009 1:01:00 AM, Blogger Skeezix the Cat said...

We love orangies! Welcome, Emerson!!!!!

 
At Thursday, October 08, 2009 10:11:00 AM, Blogger LZ said...

Well you certainly picked the right mom Emerson! We are very happy you picked her because she will take extra special care of you. Gosh you're cute!! Keep being a little kitten terror as long as you can!

Latte

 
At Thursday, October 08, 2009 10:26:00 AM, Blogger Daisy said...

Hi there Mr. Emerson! You are one cute kitty! And you have found yourself a fantastic Forever home. I know you will be so happy there!

Many shelters will spay or neuter kittens as soon as they reach 3 pounds!

 
At Thursday, October 08, 2009 6:53:00 PM, Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Well hello Mr. Emerson, aren't you one handsome orange boy and wow what a cute tail you have. We are so happy for you and your Mom.

purrs
Abby

 
At Thursday, October 08, 2009 7:29:00 PM, Blogger Rosie & Cheeto said...

OMC! Yoo are in the kulest howsehold evur, Emerson. Don't wurry abowt filling Jake's shoos...he nevur wore shoos. Just be yer kyoot lil self and wave that floofy Oranje tale. We hope we get to meet yoo at some point.

Once again! Welkome to ye furrevur home which is one amazing family.

Oh, and hi Bathsheba. Keep making yer momma smile!!

 
At Thursday, October 08, 2009 9:15:00 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Hi Emerson! Glad to meet you finally in purrson and hear your story. Since you are a ginger boy you can join our group, The Gorgeous Gingers. http://gingergang.blogspot.com/

 
At Friday, October 09, 2009 10:47:00 PM, Anonymous Cat Clothing said...

OH it looks like you now have a great life. That is great that your mom was willing to still keep you even with all your issues.

My kitty Jax also had many issues when we brought him home.

Jenny
Poochieheaven

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:10:00 AM, Blogger Parker said...

Hi and welcome Emerson! What a handsome boy you are! Lucky too, 'cause you got gotcha'd by a great family.
Jake must be smiling down from the Bridge!

 
At Monday, October 12, 2009 9:23:00 PM, Blogger The Crew said...

Well, hello Emerson. Aren't you a handsome young fellow!

Congratulations on finding your forever home and welcome to The Cat Blogosphere. We look forward to getting to know you better.

 
At Monday, October 12, 2009 11:49:00 PM, Blogger Jans Funny Farm said...

We're glad this sad story has a happy ending. Good thing your new mom waited patiently for you to get well enough to come home.

We don't understand this new sterilization schedule either. We believe kittens and puppies shouldn't have an operation at such a young age.

 
At Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:52:00 AM, Blogger meemsnyc said...

Oh Emerson, that is such a beautiful story!

 
At Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:28:00 PM, Blogger Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Emerson ... Little dood! You are a welcome addition to Bathsheba's fambly 'cuz I am sure that she misses hissin' at my sweetie, Jake. I like your orinch fur (there is an' orinch Feline American named Pumpkin who lives at my house).

I'm glad that you're feelin' better an' that you're now "hoo-hah free" ...

Platonic smooches!
DMM

 
At Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:57:00 PM, Blogger Cat with a Garden said...

Dear Emerson,
you sound like a very well mannered little mancat, and you will get your playtime for the rest of your life Concats on finding your forever home! We love your floofy tail.
Purrs, Siena & Chilli

 
At Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:17:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary B❤️ said...

Emerson, you are button cute.
I think that you have found the perfect home, and you are going to be very very happy. Now behave yourself and do not, I repeat, do NOT jump on, or wrestle with Bathsheba, okay?
When you are 18 you will understand, meantime, enjoy yourself!
Love always and gentle hugs to my sweet Bathsheba 18 year old sister in spirit.
Prinnie

 
At Friday, October 16, 2009 6:24:00 PM, Blogger Poppy Q said...

Hi Emerson, you are a very sweet kittie and we loved the story of how you found your mom. We hope you have lots of fun in your new home and don't get too many hisses from your big sister.

 
At Monday, October 19, 2009 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Shilgiah the Cat said...

Emerson! You are the cutest kitty I've seen for some time! Your back tail is very floofy too :)

 
At Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:06:00 AM, Blogger Kaz's Cats said...

G'day Emerson, we're so glad that you got to move in with Bathsheba and your Mom - that's so special that your Mom wanted you and waited until she could take you home,

Purrs

Gypsy & Tasha

 
At Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:27:00 AM, Blogger The Island Cats said...

It's so nice to meet you, Emerson!

 
At Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:16:00 PM, Blogger The Kitty City Gazette said...

Sweet kid! I hope and pray you get better. You are such a pretty kitty. I love to see all of your photos on your blog. I will pray with all my paws.

Oodles of Love,
Sharyn
The Kitty City Gazette.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home